Under the Dark Sun
to be added soon…
- Born into slavery in Tyr, Kay never knew his father, a nameless dwarf stud, or his mother, a human slave woman killed during childbirth
- Evan at a young age, Kay was tireless and strong – and was pushed relentlessly by the rich templar he was sold to
- The templar was a frequent gambler at Kalak’s gladiatorial games and lost a very substantial (and embarrassing) sum to a local merchant
- The merchant agreed and took ownership of the boy – and began his training with both the house’s guard and its psionicists.
- The merchant was strict but fair with the boy, elevating him to a member of the house’s caravan guards with the promise of his eventual freedom and employ in the house’s guard as a commander if he trains well.
- Kay continues to train with the guard and psionicists and shows great promise.
- While on the caravan returning to Tyr, a cloud ray attacks the caravan, kills the caravan psionicist, and almost kills the mekillot lizard pulling the caravan. Kay acts boldly to save the caravan by offering Vrenham and several others their freedom if they defend the caravan. Several slaves agree to the offer and the cloud ray is killed.
- Angry at Kay’s decision, but unwilling to bring dishonor onto its merchant house, the caravan leader terminates Kay’s employment and demands that Kay and the now freed slaves pay an exorbitant fee to travel as passengers of the caravan. The caravan leader offers to take any who cannot afford the fee, but only if they agree to return to slavery. Some agree to the deal, but others – including Vrenham – chose to make their own way in the desert. Kay chooses to go with them.
- Vrenham leads the group to a nearby oasis and then on to the city of Tyr, saving the group from the dangers of the athasian desert.